Carolina Friends School Summer Programs is seeking teachers to join our summer community for one to nine weeks (instructors have input as to which and how many weeks they teach) between June 21, 2021 and August 20, 2021. This position will include working with children somewhere within ages three to 18. The daily hours on-campus are from 8:45 am - 3:15 pm. Our summer courses are open to the larger community and rooted in the mission, values, and vision of our school. All of our courses are held on the Carolina Friends School main campus, conveniently located between Chapel Hill and Durham on 126 acres of woodlands and pastureland. We aspire to provide programs that spark intellectual curiosity, encourage playful exploration, and help build character. At heart, this is a place of joy!
Many school-year teachers (and folks in other professions!) enjoy this opportunity to engage with students in a pure sharing of interests and passions. With their students, Summer Programs teachers have trekked to the Eno, fermented kombucha, engaged in dialogue about intersectional feminism in our community, prepared and performed tunes from Hamilton, turned the Lower School playground into a giant fort, designed original video games, baked some Great British Bake-Off worthy treats, and much more.
Please note that we hope to finalize and release the schedule in January, so anyone interested in teaching is encouraged to reach out ASAP. Feel free to review www.cfsnc.org/summer to get a deeper sense of what our program offers.
While recognizing the COVID-19 landscape may look different in June than it does today, we're currently planning to include cohorting throughout the week, masks, distancing, access to outdoor spaces, symptoms screening, the presence of a registered nurse on campus, open air ventilation or air filtration in indoor spaces, plentiful access to PPE equipment (including sanitizer, back-up masks, gloves, disinfectant wipes, disinfectant spray, hand sanitizer, hand-washing sinks and stations, plastic face shields, etc.) and other risk mitigation measures that have worked successfully during the school-year thus far at Carolina Friends School. Staff and student health and safety, of course, is the number one priority. We take the coronavirus and all its implications seriously, both personally and professionally, hence the decision to operate virtually in 2020 while we learned successful prevention strategies. If you’d like a sense of the school’s approach to COVID-19 prevention thus far, which frames our planning for summer, you can find details in the school’s COVID-19 Guide.
- A new instructor can pitch an idea for a new course or may take over an already existing course that needs an instructor. Courses tend to fall within the following categories: creative expression, culinary creations, leadership and personal development, learning explorations, maker discoveries, nature/outdoor activities, sports fun, tech wizardry, and more.
- Leading one or more weeklong, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm programs for students, often with the support of teenage or college-aged assistants. Instructors may teach only one week or as many as nine weeks during the summer.
- Preparing daily plans and communicating material needs to the Summer Programs Leadership Team.
Traits and Requirements:
- An abundance of meaningful, positive experience working with children.
- Experience in and a deep understanding of the subjects of the programs taught.
- Respect for and love of children, with a view of children as competent and capable.
- Strong organizational, communication, and time management skills.
- Strong intra/interpersonal skills, along with a willingness to work flexibly and collaboratively.
- An understanding of and respect for Quaker philosophy and the School’s mission.
- Willingness to understand how power and inequality, influenced by race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexuality, ability, etc. impact our students and families.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit the following to email@example.com, with Summer Programs On-Campus Instructor indicated in the subject line:
- Weeks of availability within June 21-August 20
- Ideas for classes, whether specific class ideas or just general categories of interest along. For each class idea or class category you suggest, please include the age range of students that you’d open the class to.
- List of 3 references and their contact information
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue through early January. CFS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled.
APPLICANTS: Please review the Who We Are, Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity, and Important Information for All Applicants sections on the CFS employment opportunities page.
Carolina Friends School actively strives to be a community of staff, students, and families of diverse backgrounds. CFS does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, socio-economic background, family structure, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, or military service in the administration of its policies and program.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer in both policy and practice.