Carolina Friends School’s Durham Early School is seeking a part-time extended day teacher to join our staff. This is an immediate position that will include overseeing a program with 9-12 children ages three through six, along with another extended day teacher. The daily hours are from 2:30-5:30 pm. Our Durham Early School is located near Duke University at 404 Alexander Drive, Durham NC. Teachers at Durham Early School enjoy a school community committed to a pedagogy rooted in Quaker philosophy and inspired by practices in the Reggio Emilia schools. Our extended day program is particularly inspired by the Quaker tenet of simplicity and allows for an easeful, play-based afternoon for young children in the midst of our busy world.
- Planning and implementing an emergent extended day program that allows for following the interests of the children as well as lots of time for open-ended outdoor play
- Collaboratively working with the other extended day teacher
- Working cooperatively with the full-day teaching staff
- Effectively communicating with families and other teachers
- Maintaining aesthetically pleasing and organized indoor and outdoor classroom environments
- Commitment to professional learning, including understanding and application of our Quaker philosophy as well as participation in professional development opportunities
- Following the safety protocols that are established to keep the children and staff safe during the pandemic
Experience and Skills Required:
- Strong candidates will possess:
- A degree in Early Childhood Education/Child Development and/or experience working with preschool and kindergarten children
- A respect for and love of young children, with a view of children as competent and capable
- Experience as an early childhood educator with both preschool and/or kindergarten-aged children
- An understanding of a variety of early childhood educational theories and approaches, especially the practices in Reggio Emilia
- An understanding of and strong affinity for Quaker philosophy and the School’s mission
- Strong communication skills, along with a willingness to work flexibly and collaboratively with the whole teaching team
- Strong intra/interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to meet varied demands with integrity, enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- A willingness to understand how power and inequality, influenced by factors such as race, class, gender, sexuality, and learning and physical disabilities impact our students, families, and colleagues
- Ability to obtain Certification in Infant/Child CPR, Basic First Aid
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment
Carolina Friends School’s Early School
As early childhood educators, we strive to align our thinking and teaching with a research-based understanding of how children learn and grow. We foster social-emotional development and healthy relationships by knowing each student well and attending carefully to their needs and interests; we enable meaningful inquiry through class projects and experiences in the natural world; we build community through collaborative work and shared decision making; and we empower student autonomy through structured and unstructured play to enable the development of self-esteem, creativity, problem-solving, and cognitive development. Ours is a pedagogy of joy, in a culture of belonging and perpetual learning.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit, in one complete PDF file, the following to email@example.com, with DES Extended Day Teacher indicated in the subject line:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Names and contact information for three references, with letters to be submitted
Under separate cover, please ask each recommender to send a letter of reference directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate DES Extended Day Teacher in the subject line of the email. All letters of reference must be received in order for the application to be complete.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. CFS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled.
APPLICANTS: Please review the Who We Are, Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity, and Important Information for All Applicants sections on the CFS employment opportunities page.
Carolina Friends School actively strives to be a community of staff, students, and families of diverse backgrounds. CFS does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, socio-economic background, family structure, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, or military service in the administration of its policies and program.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer in both policy and practice.