Position to start mid-August
Carolina Friends School (CFS) is seeking a full-time dance teacher (benefits-eligible) to join our staff for the 2021-2022 academic year. The teacher will join a creative and dedicated community of teachers committed to developing a vigorous, student-centered, and mission-driven curriculum. We seek a visionary, collaborative, dynamic, and innovative dance teacher to provide instruction to students that range from 6 through eighteen years of age.
- Teaching three sections of Middle School dance and half year rotations of Lower School movement classes
- Collaborating with MS and LS language arts teachers on specific units of study
- Choreographing and collaborating on the MS play
- Teaching a trimester Upper School dance class and one week in Middle School Exploratorium at the end of the academic year, as possible
- Initiating and supporting formal and informal performances
- Supporting the dance program by working collaboratively with the Upper School Dance Teacher and forming a bridge for students between Lower School and Middle School
- Participating in at least one all-school committee and, for the first two years of employment, an extensive staff orientation
- Attending and participating in weekly staff meetings and CFS Staff Development activities
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated success teaching dance to children from ages 6-18 at widely varying skill levels, and a desire to help students develop their “voice” as a dance designer and embrace dance, and creative expression as a part of their daily lives
- Ability to see the light in individual dancers and to cultivate a program that is inclusive thus building community and embracing differences
- Ability to generate and teach technical and creative sequences that are developmentally appropriate for each age
- Ability to create new choreographic works for multi-age and -level students
- Ability to nurture and support the development of students' interest and skills in dance choreography
- A keen understanding of body mechanics, anatomy, and safe practices in a classroom and studio setting
- Ability to teach the basics of partnering and safe practices
- Ability to facilitate a creative, dynamic, and inspiring environment, using dance as a language expressing the uniqueness of the individual
- Commitment to continued professional growth
- Flexibility to adapt to changing needs of the students and the School
- Demonstrated affinity for and interests in Quaker values as embodied in the CFS community
- Willingness to understand how power and inequality, influenced by factors such as race, class, gender, sexuality, and learning and physical disabilities impact our students, families and colleagues
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit, when possible in one complete PDF file, the following:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Names and contact information for 3 references, with letters to be submitted separately
Please compile all these documents into one complete packet and submit to email@example.com. Please indicate Dance Teacher in the email subject line.
Under separate cover, please ask each recommender to send a letter of reference directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Dance Teacher in the subject line of the email. All letters of reference must be received in order for the application to be complete.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until April 18, 2021. CFS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled.
APPLICANTS: Please review the Who We Are, Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity, and Important Information for All Applicants sections on the CFS job opportunities page.
Carolina Friends School actively strives to be a community of staff, students, and families of diverse backgrounds. CFS does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, socio-economic background, family structure, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, or military service in the administration of its policies and program.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer in both policy and practice.