Carolina Friends School is seeking to hire a temporary full-time physical education teacher beginning January 3, 2022 through June 16, 2022. Reporting to the Athletic Director, the teacher will join a school community committed to developing a vigorous, student-centered, and mission-driven curriculum. The position will involve working with students in the Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools (age range equal to first through twelfth grade).
Teachers at Carolina Friends School enjoy a school community committed to a pedagogy rooted in Quaker thought and practice. We strive to collaborate toward the realization of every child’s highest potential in the classroom, community, and wider world.
- Teaching PE to all Lower School students.
- Teaching PE classes each term in the Middle and Upper Schools.
- Managing all PE equipment.
- Collaborating with colleagues within and across disciplines to review and develop curriculum.
- Assisting the Athletic Director with monitoring of uniform and equipment inventories, stewardship of athletic facilities, coordination of home and away events, and communicating with parents, faculty, staff, and the wider community regarding the athletic program.
Strong Candidates will:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in physical education, athletic training, sports management, or a related field.
- Demonstrate an ability to teach physical education at all levels.
- Enjoy working with children and be committed to a developmentally appropriate curriculum, directed specifically toward supporting the enhancement of the physical literacy of each child.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to work collaboratively on curriculum development and pedagogical approaches.
- Understand the primacy of relationships in teaching and demonstrate an understanding of the importance of partnering with parents in the lives of children.
- Possess diverse pedagogical tools and methods suited for a wide range of student learning needs.
- Have a desire to integrate technology into the curriculum and have the ability to utilize a variety of electronic communication platforms including Learning Management Systems.
- Possess a commitment to continuous professional growth and an enthusiasm for learning in community.
- Ability to attend and participate in professional development, staff meetings, advisor activities, annual staff retreat.
- Be flexible in the face of the varied and changing needs of the CFS community.
- An understanding of and strong affinity for Quaker philosophy and the School’s mission
- Willingness and capacity to understand how power and inequality, influenced by factors such as race, class, gender, sexuality, and learning and/or physical disabilities impact our students, families, and colleagues
Who We Are:
CFS staff members demonstrate an understanding of and strong commitment to Quaker values and practice and the School’s mission, a desire for continuous professional growth, and the ability to work with integrity, courage, creativity, resilience, flexibility, and a sense of humor. State teacher certification or licensure is not required for employment.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit, when possible in one complete PDF file, the following:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Names and contact information for 3 references, with letters to be submitted
Please compile all these documents into one complete packet and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Physical Education Teacher in the email subject line.
Under separate cover, please ask each recommender to send a letter of reference directly to email@example.com and indicate Physical Education Teacher in the subject line of the email. All letters of reference must be received in order for the application to be complete.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit materials by December 31, 2021. CFS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled.
APPLICANTS: Please review the Who We Are, Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity, and Important Information for All Applicants sections on the CFS job opportunities page.
Carolina Friends School actively strives to be a community of staff, students, and families of diverse backgrounds. CFS does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, socio-economic background, family structure, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, or military service in the administration of its policies and program.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer in both policy and practice.