Carolina Friends School’s Campus Early School is seeking a part-time assistant teacher to join our staff in August 2022. This position will include working with 8-10 children ages three through six. The daily hours are from 3:00-5:30 pm. Teachers at Campus Early School enjoy a school community committed to a pedagogy rooted in Quaker philosophy and best practices in early childhood education. Our extended day program is particularly inspired by the Quaker tenet of simplicity and allows for an easeful, play-based afternoon for young children in the midst of our busy world.
- Supporting the extended day teacher in planning and implementing an emergent extended day program that allows for following the interests of the children as well as lots of time for open-ended outdoor play
- Assisting the extended day teacher in supervising and supporting the work and play of the children
- Effectively communicating with colleagues and families
- Working collaboratively with the CES staff
- Using keen observation skills to support the children with their work and play during this particular time of the day
- Maintaining an aesthetically pleasing and organized indoor and outdoor classroom environment
Traits and Requirements:
- Experience working with children ages 3-6 years old.
- Respect for and love of young children, with a view of children as competent and capable
- An interest in and curiosity about a variety of early childhood curricular approaches to teaching and learning
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong intra/interpersonal skills, along with a willingness to work flexibly and collaboratively with the whole teaching team
- Ability to view one’s work as “nothing without joy”
- An understanding of and strong affinity for Quaker philosophy and the School’s mission
- Willingness to understand how power and inequality, influenced by race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexuality, ability, etc. impact our students and families
- Ability to obtain certification in Infant/Child CPR, Basic First Aid
- Willingness to participate in professional development opportunities
Carolina Friends School’s Early School
As early childhood educators, we strive to align our thinking and teaching with a research-based understanding of how children learn and grow. We foster social-emotional development and healthy relationships by knowing each student well and attending carefully to their needs and interests; we enable meaningful inquiry through class projects and experiences in the natural world; we build community through collaborative work and shared decision making; and we empower student autonomy through structured and unstructured play to enable the development of self-esteem, creativity, problem-solving, and cognitive development. Ours is a pedagogy of joy in a culture of belonging and perpetual learning.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit, in one complete PDF file, the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, with CES Extended Day Assistant Teacher indicated in the subject line:
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Names and contact information for three references, with letters to be submitted
Under separate cover, please ask each recommender to directly send a letter of reference to email@example.com and indicate CES Extended Day Assistant Teacher in the email's subject line. All letters of reference must be received in order for the application to be complete.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. CFS reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as all materials can be compiled.
APPLICANTS: Please review the Who We Are, Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity, and Important Information for All Applicants sections on the CFS employment opportunities page.
Carolina Friends School actively strives to be a community of staff, students, and families of diverse backgrounds. CFS does not discriminate based on age, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, socio-economic background, family structure, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, or military service in the administration of its policies and program.
CFS is an equal opportunity employer in both policy and practice.