Institute for Teaching and Learning
A Global Resource and Exemplar for Child-Centered Education
For almost six decades, Carolina Friends has pioneered and modeled educational practices that honor the authentic voice of children in their own learning.
As one of three components of The Dream That Drives US strategic vision, the Institute for Teaching and Learning offers exciting opportunities for students, educators and other adults, and families.
Programs serve the wider community as well as Carolina Friends School constituents.
The Institute embraces five programmatic strands:
Learn about upcoming programs for educators and other curious adults
- Beloved Community Journey, a six-day, five-night bus tour exploring civil rights history and contemporary social justice issues in the South, 27 June-2 July 2023
- Peaceful Schools Summer Institute, options include a new teacher launchpad, two days of restorative practices training, and an early childhood educators workshop, 26-29 July 2023
- Art of Resilience and Renewal Retreat for Seasoned Educators, Fall 2023
- Racial Myth & Memory: A Charlottesville Case Study, a weekend exploration of the weight of race in Charlottesville through five sites and three themes, Fall 2023
- Racial Myth and Memory: A Wilmington Case Study, a weekend dissecting the weight of race at a plantation and an in-town home, sites associated with the 1898 Wilmington race massacre, and a Black Lives Matter sculpture that also connects with the miscarriage of justice of the Wilmington 10. Spring 2024
- Male-Identifying Teachers of Young Children, a daylong retreat to connect and support male-identifying educators working with preschool and elementary age children, 2023-2024
- Quaker Journey, a weeklong visit to the 17th-century roots of Quakerism in the breathtaking Lake District of Northern England, 23-30 June 2024
Meet the Team
Anthony L. Clay
Director of Extended Learning, Director & Chief Imagination Officer of the Institute for Teaching and Learning
Extended Learning Coordinator, Assistant to the Institute for Teaching and Learning