Institute for Teaching and Learning
For almost six decades, Carolina Friends has pioneered and modeled educational practices that honor the authentic voice of children in their own learning.
As one of three components of The Dream That Drives US strategic vision, the Institute for Teaching and Learning offers exciting opportunities for students, educators and other adults, and families.
Programs serve the wider community as well as Carolina Friends School constituents.
Learn about upcoming programs for educators and other curious adults:
- R&R Redefined Retreat for Seasoned Educators, 6 March 2023
- Restorative Practices For Educators and School Leaders, co-sponsored by Peaceful Schools and the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools (NCAIS), 9-10 March 2023
- Beloved Community Journey, a six-day, five-night bus tour exploring civil rights history and contemporary social justice issues in the South, 27 June-2 July 2023
- Racial Myth & Memory: A Charlottesville Case Study, a weekend exploration of the weight of race in Charlottesville through five sites and three themes, Fall 2023
- Male-Identifying Teachers of Young Children, a daylong retreat to connect and support male-identifying educators working with preschool and elementary age children, 2023-2024
- Quaker Journey, a weeklong visit to the 17th-century roots of Quakerism in the breathtaking Lake District of Northern England, Summer 2024