Peaceful Schools NC
Peaceful Schools NC (PSNC) is a school climate initiative of Carolina Friends School.
After listening to the specific needs of a school community, we offer resources to help schools actively create and sustain a positive school climate. Through an individualized approach, PSNC offers consultation, professional development, and ongoing resources for teachers, administrators, students, staff, and parents.
What are the systems that support Peaceful Schools work taking place?
- Common language for positive school culture
- Student voice and ownership of their agreements and responsibilities
- Proactive teaching and classroom management
- Clear, consistent systems for defining expectations and addressing issues when they arise
- Intentional time in the school day for building classroom community
What are the elements of a Peaceful School?
- All aboard: Administration, teachers, students, parents, bus drivers, coaches…ALL aboard.
- Focus on positive relationships and social-emotional growth
- Conflict is embraced as an opportunity for growth and understanding
What are the benefits of a Peaceful School?
- Culture of the school feels positive, collaborative, and is a safe place to thrive
- Healthy development of relationships between staff and teachers
- Evidence of student ownership in their learning
- Created conditions for students to thrive academically
- Students are empowered and feel capable of having courageous conversations
- Resilience among students and teachers when addressing the challenges we face in schools