Magic in Teaching and Learning
Please note that while the information on this page remains available so you can get to know us, some of the information below is relevant to our traditional Summer Programming and may not be applicable for our 2020 virtual offerings: Summer Programs 2.0. Thank you!
- A program rooted in the mission and philosophy of Carolina Friends School, founded in the early 1960s as one of the first intentionally racially-integrated schools in the South.
- Lots of options — in 2020, 170+ classes across nine weeks for ages 4 to 18 in these curricular areas:
- Creative Expression
- digital, literary, performing, and visual arts
- Culinary Creations
- Leadership and Personal Growth
- Learning Explorations
- Nature/Outdoor Adventures
- Sports Fun
- A 126-acre campus of woods, pastures, stream, and gardens, conveniently located minutes from downtown Chapel Hill and Durham, close to I-40 and I-85, across from the Duke Campus Farm and adjacent to the Duke Forest. We have two gyms, tennis courts, soccer and Ultimate frisbee fields, a new 330-seat performing arts center, and dedicated buildings for students through age 18.
- A wonderful variety of people — in 2019, we served some 850 students from approximately 150 schools (independent, traditional public, charter, and home) in at least 10 states and five countries (from China to Portugal). We welcome all students, families, and staff to bring their authentic selves to Summer Programs.
- An experienced, expert staff who genuinely love and care for young people. For 2020 we've engaged 60 school-year educators and other adult professionals to teach courses in their areas of passion. They pass the same background safety checks as CFS school-year teachers. Summer Programs instructors are assisted by:
- Counselors-In-Training (ages 13-15) who've completed our Leadership Challenge course and have daily leadership development time facilitated by our CIT/Intern Coordinator
- Interns — many former students and CITs — with experience working with children
- A long history — we've been offering summer programs for some 30 years. One instructor has taught every summer save one since 1992! Others began here as students, then became CITs and Interns, and now teach the next generation.
- Positive experiences for students that led to CFS Summer Programs being named the Indy Week 2019 "Best of the Triangle" for Orange/Chatham County Summer Camp.
- We're a non-profit organization. All Summer Programs proceeds support learning opportunities for students during the summer and throughout the year.
We know you have lots of summer options. Like thousands of families through the decades, we invite you to discover the magic of teaching and learning at CFS Summer Programs for your children!