Working at CFS
Who We Are
CFS staff members demonstrate an understanding of and strong commitment to Quaker philosophy and values and the School’s mission, a desire for continuous professional growth, and the ability to work with integrity, energy, courage, creativity, resilience, flexibility, and a sense of humor. State teacher certification or licensure is not required for employment.
Our staff hail from England, Ireland, Liberia, and throughout the United States. They have an average of 20 years of teaching experience, and their tenure at CFS ranges from a matter of months to 45 years! Over half have earned advanced degrees.
We actively seek a staff community that reflects diversity of race, ethnicity, family structure, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical ability, religious affiliation, and socioeconomic background.
Salary and Benefits
Thanks to endowment funds raised in the 2005-2008 Next Step Campaign, Carolina Friends School can maintain a strong commitment to competitive salary and benefits*, including the following (as of Fall 2016):
- medical plan coverage (100% of employee-only premium paid by CFS) - choice of UnitedHealthcare POS or HMO plans
- cash-out waiver credit - for those who opt out of CFS medical coverage (stipend is taxable income)
- health reimbursement account to reimburse most of the cost of medical plan deductible
- flexible spending accounts for qualifying medical and dependent care expenses
- dental and vision plan coverages (staff member paid, with reasonable pre-tax premiums)
- accident insurance (staff member paid; reasonable pre-tax premiums)
- generous paid-time off (winter break, spring break, holidays, and accrued leave)
- life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance (CFS paid)
- short- and long-term disability insurance (CFS paid)
- retirement plan 403(b) with TIAA-CREF; includes CFS-paid matching contribution based on tenure
- employee assistance program (counseling support for personal concerns)
- partial tuition remission for up to two staff children (percentage based on tenure)
- credit union membership opportunity
- use of on-campus athletic facilities
- extensive professional development opportunities
*Benefits eligibility based on percentage of full-time hours worked.
Carolina Friends has been able to increase its professional development resources in recent years. Staff members have support to participate in a host of conferences and workshops, including those offered by:
- the Friends Council on Education (FCE)
- the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools (NCAIS), the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS), and the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- the Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE, formerly the National Middle School Association) and other age-based education organizations
- the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), and other discipline-based education organizations
- the SSATB, the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, the National Business Officers Association, and other administrative support organizations.
Since 2006, the Professional And Community Enrichment (PACE) program has financially supported staff members to travel to China, Costa Rica, India and Nepal, Kenya, Mongolia, the Middle East, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Scotland, Wales, and other destinations.
A Personal Perspective
Here’s what staff members have said about working at Carolina Friends:
- I have a lot of reasons I’m thankful working at Friends School, perhaps first among them my dedicated, talented, passionate, committed colleagues and friends. ~ Middle School teacher
- I love this School....the perfect learning environment for my kids. ~ Development staff member
- This place helped me raise two children and myself. I am looking forward to it helping us raise my grandchildren. ~ Building and Grounds staffer, here since the 1970s
- I am grateful that I found this school 23 years ago! It’s an honor to be here. ~ Lower School teacher
- This is a place that nurtures good students and good educators as well as good people. I love that my own children are being educated here by my smart, hardworking colleagues and shaped by Quaker values. ~ Center staff member